Introducing the Smart Transcripts Plugin!
Smart Podcast Transcripts is a new "early access" product introduced in the Cyber Week 2019 sale, and was only available during Cyber Week 2019 (December 2-6, 2019) by upgrading to the $297 Lifetime License.
What is the Smart Podcast Transcripts plugin?
The Smart Podcast Transcripts plugin creates a space for you to beautifully display and offer downloads of podcast transcripts on your podcast episode pages. By displaying your podcast transcripts, you enhance your website's SEO and provide your audience an accessibility-friendly way to consume your podcast.
Want to see the Smart Transcripts Plugin in action? Check it out here!
After you subscribe to the Lifetime License, you will be sent a download for the Smart Podcast Transcripts plugin. To add it to your website, follow these steps (note: this is the same process as adding the SPP plugin):
- Download the Smart Podcast Transcripts plugin zip file to your computer.
- Go to your WordPress dashboard, navigate to Plugins and click Add New.
- Next to "Add Plugins" click Upload Plugin and upload the Smart Podcast Transcripts zip file.
- After you successfully upload the zip file, click Activate to make sure you activate the plugin (otherwise it will not work).
- That's it!
Smart Podcast Transcripts Settings
After you add the Smart Podcast Transcripts plugin, you'll see a new menu in Settings for Smart Podcast Transcripts (see screenshot below). Below are the settings available for Smart Podcast Transcripts:
- Podcast: This shows only when you've added multiple podcasts (more on that below).
- Show Logo URL: Drop your podcast logo URL in here. This logo will display on the downloadable PDF when listeners click "Download" on the front end.
- Show Title: Add your podcast title here. This, like the logo URL, will display on the downloaded PDF.
- Multiple Podcasts: If your site has multiple podcasts (as in the example below), you'll add podcasts in the Podcast Name section, click Save Changes at the bottom, and that will give you a drop-down menu in the Podcast section at the top to pick your podcast and associate the correct Show Logo URL and Show Title with each.
- Post Types: The transcript editor is designed for Pages and Posts in WordPress. But if there are specific post types you want to be able to use the Smart Transcripts plugin with, add them here.
Adding the Final Touches
Now that your Smart Podcast Transcripts plugin is uploaded and your settings are all set, it's time to put the Transcripts to work! Before you actually add the transcription, you need to do one very important thing:
Add a Smart Podcast Transcripts shortcode. Under your Smart Track Player, add a Shortcode widget (Gutenberg editor) and type in the following shortcode: [spp_transcript]. Like this:
After you add the [spp_transcript] shortcode, the transcript on the front end will work. Finally, on each page and post (and whatever other post type you clarify in the settings), you'll now see a Transcripts area at the bottom of the page or post editor. It will look like this:
Because, in my example, I've added two podcasts in my settings (Smart Passive Income and AskPat 2.0), that's why you see the toggle menu with the two podcast options. In this case, I am going to add in a transcript for Smart Passive Income episode 398 by clicking the Upload text file button and uploading my .txt file from Rev (the transcription service we use and love). After uploading the text file, it looks like this:
And now for the reveal! Here's how all that looks on the front end for your podcast audience:
If you have any questions whatsoever, please don't hesitate to reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remember, this "early access" version of the plugin is only available from December 2-6, 2019 and by purchasing the new Lifetime License of the Smart Podcast Player. New customers can learn more and purchase here, and existing customers just need to login to the customer center, navigate to Subscription and hit "Upgrade" for the Lifetime License.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Will the Smart Podcast Transcripts plugin transcribe my podcast for me?
A: No, actually. The plugin displays your transcriptions, giving your transcribed podcast a beautiful front end with an option for your users to download. It's not transcription software. We recommend Rev or Temi for that.
Q: I subscribed to the Lifetime License plan during Cyber Week 2019 but haven't received my Transcripts Plugin. What now?
A: Sorry about that! We're working on that delivery error. Please email us (email@example.com) to get your zip file and instructions!
Q: Why is my license now showing as Inactive?
A: That's a bug we're in the process of fixing! Your player/transcript plugin will continue to work as normal as we fix this.